Translate

Tuesday 9 June 2015

The Pros and Cons Of Cruising

My family have booked a cruise for next year on the P&O ship Ventura. We are going for a week and will be visiting the ports of Guernsey, Spain and Portugal. I have been on a cruise ship once before when I was six and my parents and my Grandma have been lots of times so I know quite a lot about them. Here is my list of pros and cons for cruising for teenagers.

Pros
They generally have a really good teenage club. Some ships are better than others. The Ventura has a cool hangout with sofas and computers. They have disco's and movie nights in the evenings. Perfect if you would rather not spend too much time with your family.
The ships have good facilities. Most of them have multiple pools, bars, lounges and sports facilities as well as a spa, a theatre and cinema. Some of the bigger ships (particularly the Royal Caribbean ships) have extra's including things like a surf simulator, an ice rink, a rock climbing wall and a water splash park.
You get to dress up in the evenings. Most nights the dress code is smart casual but there are always a few Black Tie or Gala nights where you get to really dress up. Most people wear cocktail dresses or some other type of evening gown. I love getting all dressed up. Last time I was a bit too young to appreciate it but now I'm older I am looking forward to it. I am pleased that you only have to do it a few nights though as I don't think I would want to dress up fully every night of the week. If you are the sort of person who hates wearing dresses or make-up (like my friend from school, she knows who she is!) see the cons section.
On P&O ships, the food is amazing. Every sort of breakfast you can think of, tasty lunch, afternoon tea, 5 course dinner and the all day buffet. You can eat as much as you like of this food as it is all included in the price!
You only spend a day or two in each place. It doesn't matter if there is not much to do at your destination. You won't be there long.

Cons
You have to dress up for dinner. At our age, you are going to have to wear a formal dress, or at least some smart alternative at some stage of the cruise.
There is a limited amount for teenagers to do. If you're bored of the teen club and the weather isn't good enough to use the pool or the other facilities outside, you have less choice on the days at sea.
On some of the ships (mainly the foreign companies) the food can be unfamiliar.
Unless you are willing to pay a lot of money, the cabins are small. Obviously, as you are on a ship, space is at a premium. There probably will be bunk beds or possibly bed settees.

Have you ever been on a cruise? What do you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment