Translate

Monday 15 June 2015

Finding The Fox

Ali Sparkes is probably my favourite author. She wrote my favourite book, Frozen In Time, which I love soooo much I have read it 6 times. I met her when I was 8, as she came to my school for world book day. At the time, I was sure I wanted to be an author myself (now I'm torn between graphic designer, author and possibly environmental activist!). It really inspired me to see an author who was not a grey haired person old enough to be retired (which, it seemed to me at that age, all children's authors were). I found her talk really interesting too.

Recently, I have read another one of her books, Finding the Fox. It is the first in the shapeshifters series and I love it! It is about a boy called Dax who discovers he can turn into a fox, causing him to be whisked off to a special school for other gifted children. Even though he is happy there, things are not all that they seem and they soon become very dangerous. It was so exciting that I was even shaking at one point reading it! That has only ever happened to me whilst reading one other book.

I think this is because of the way Ali writes about danger and death in this book. When lots of characters die in a book or film, less is made of it. However, because there are fewer incidences, he is younger and his fox instincts can "smell danger" it becomes a much bigger thing. This makes it more thrilling, even if ordinarily the story line isn't that exciting. Also, she creates a really good sense of suspense and approaching danger earlier on so when the action does come it has more of an impact.

Overall, I think it is a really good read. Definitely up to her usual standard!

No comments:

Post a Comment