Translate

Wednesday 6 July 2016

What Couldn't You Live Without?

Last night, I saw a really interesting program on Channel 4 called Stripped Bare. A group of people had all their possessions removed from their houses: their gadgets, their furniture, even their clothes! They were then allowed 1 item back per day for 21 days, so they could find out what items they really need in their lives and what they can live without.

They had to go to their storage container each day to select their item. It was not that close to their house, so they had to run through the streets naked on the first day! At first, all their items were similar: clothing, mattress, duvet etc. After that, their choices were much more varied. Some focused on technology, while others wanted sofas or shampoo. It was interesting to see how varied peoples priorities were.

First I think I would want a onesie to cover myself up. Then a duvet, my hoodie, soap, toothpaste, shampoo, plates, a mattress, pants and money. After I had the basics, I would want more clothes, cutlery, sketchbook, pencils and a book.

Some of the people made changes to their lives after the show, others lived very similarly to before. The program showed being naked is terrifying, just how much we take clothes for granted and that when you have almost nothing, what you do have becomes everything. Overall, I thought it was a really interesting experiment. What items would you want back first? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment