Translate

Friday 15 July 2016

The Ambitions Of a Writer

Ever since I was 6, I have wanted to write books. The genre has changed over the years, but I still want to get published. It was one of the reasons I started a blog in the first place, so people would be reading something I had written.

I always have a story on the go, although I rarely finish one. Currently, I am editing the draft of a short adventure story, part way through writing a romance novel and beginning to work on a mystery about the disappearance of a young girl and her family. I also have several half-written stories I started years ago that I sometimes revisit.

I guess my problem is that I have ideas for books quicker that I can write them. I also often know how I want to start it, but have few ideas about where the narrative is going after that. One day though, I think I will finish one, I just have to put enough time into it.

As well as my ambition to get a book published, there is one other thing that keeps me writing, and it is summed up nicely in this quote by Larry Brookes:

Whatever we write, we are reaching out. We are declaring that we are not alone on this planet, and that we have something to share, something to say. Our writing survives us, even if nobody ever reads a word of it. Because we have given back, we have reflected our truth. We have mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment