Translate

Friday 10 February 2017

Challenging Conformity

One of the subjects I study at school is psychology, and something we have been studying in the past week has got me thinking. We have been learning about conformity. About how we all seek to be the same as those around us, part of the group, one of the accepted ones. And I have decided I must be a little unusual, as I am a bit of a non-conformist. I often do things that are completely different to what everyone else is doing. These are the sorts of things I mean:
  • Wearing very colourful/unusual clothing that stands out amongst my friends black and grey hoodies. This is a frequent source of complaints from the friends who are seen out in public with me. They love it really!
  • Not having any social media (unless you count the blog).
  • Singing and dancing like crazy along to music even when others aren't.
  • Choosing not to wear a traditional prom dress to Prom.
Why am I like this? Well, I guess I must worry a lot less about what other people think than most other people. But I think it is actually the main reason why I am happier than most people. Yes, I am a optimist, and I guess that must have something to do with it, but mostly I think it is because I dress, sing, and generally live exactly the way I want to. If being free to be yourself does not make you happy, what will?

So I encourage you to try it, to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and just do what pleases you: what feels right, what you believe in ,what makes you happy. Try it over the next week, because I think it will change your life much more than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment