Translate

Monday 7 November 2016

I'll Give You The Sun

I have just finished reading a book my friend gave me called "I'll Give You The Sun" by Jandy Nelson. I loved it! The story is told by a pair of twins called Noah and Jude. Some parts are written by Noah when he is 13, some parts are written by Jude when she is 16. In Jude's sections, something terrible has happened to drive the twins apart and turn their world upside down, while Noah tells the story of everything that happened before.

As well as the relationships that occur between the twins and the other people in their lives, the story also looks as the relationship between artists and their art. Both twins are artists, but while Noah draws and paints Jude makes sculptures and clothes. They are both driven to make art by different things and this plays an important part in the story. The author describes this "artistic impulse" that drives them brilliantly.

I love this book partly because of the characters and the storyline, but also because of how it is written. Flicking back and forward in time gives the book an interesting dynamic, adding to the suspense. But what I think I love best is how realistically the author shows the characters passions - for their lovers, their family and their art. He has successfully captured what makes the characters tick, and that is what makes the book so special.

I highly recommend this book to all teens, especially anyone who is an artist. It is the best one I have read for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment