Translate

Saturday 6 January 2018

My Christmas Read

I got two new books for Christmas this year, and I have read both of them already! And one of them was John Green's latest release, which I think is well worth you reading.

The book is called Turtles All The Way Down, and is quite different to his other books. Gone are his usual badass girl and wimpy boy characters from Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns, and even more shocking, there is no mention at all of "how to live life to the fullest", which is his usual theme of choice. Instead, we have something that might actually be original.

Don't get me wrong, I love John Green Books. But they do tend to be quite similar to each other and although that does not stop me obsessing over them, it was nice to have such a refreshing change.

This story focuses on a 16 year old girl called Aza, who is a long term sufferer of Anxiety. And this is what makes this book so unusual, as the book tells you exactly what it like to suffer from a mental illness, which is very eye opening. Along side this, there is a very complex plot involving a billionaire's son, a national manhunt, lost family members, astronomy and falling in love, as well as the usual teenage dramas about working out what you want to do after school finishes, friendship and family. But it is the thought by thought account of how anxiety invades your brain that really set this book apart.

I recommend this book to all teens 14+, as although it had less adult content than his other books, it still has some quite grown up themes. Let me know in the comments if you read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment