Translate

Tuesday 30 January 2018

A Surprising Read...

Compared to most teenagers, I read quite a lot of books. But I have never really understood why people read plays until now. Even reading "Streetcar Named Desire" in the summer holidays didn't encourage me to read any more. However, that has now changed. Whilst I was in the performing arts block at college, I stumbled across shelves of interesting plays, mostly written in European countries and translated to English. I picked up one that looked interesting called Blood Wedding by Lorca. 3 pages in and I was already hooked. I have read 2 out of 3 acts and cannot wait to go and finish it in first period tomorrow!

I guess I always thought that with just the speech to read and no description as found in books or costumes and scenery as seen in stage performances plays would be dull to read. But actually, if they are well written with good storylines, they can be just as exciting. If fact, I like the fact that some things are left to the imagination. Also, without the description, they are much shorter, so make good quick reads. I think I will be reading more plays in future!

No comments:

Post a Comment