Translate

Monday 30 April 2018

University Fairs - Avoid The Sales Pitch, Talk To The Students!

On Friday, my college took a group of us to a UCAS fair at Winchester University. It was a huge event with Universities from all over the country, and would supposedly help us with deciding where we wanted to go to study.

Many of the stalls had real students from the universities there as representatives, and talking to them was really interesting, as they were able to answer questions not found in prospectuses and on websites. They could tell me what the social and night life is like as well as whether they like living in that town or city. I even found out about what it is like to study a certain subject area at degree level when I was lucky enough to come across one who studies in the area I want to. However, the staff of the Universities were not so helpful, as quite a lot of what they said wasn't even true! They were just desperate to make you think their Uni was the best!

Once we had found out all the information we wanted, we started a new game: freebie hunting! By targeting the stalls with the best free stuff on offer, I had managed to score a set of good quality earphones, a canvas shopping bag, a packet of seeds to grow flowers, a balloon, a rubber and 3 pens. However, I missed out on a beach ball, because by the time we had worked out which stall was giving them away, they had run out!

I would recommend going to these days as they are fun, but I would suggest focusing on talking to students at the university rather than staff, as they tend to be more honest, and can tell you more about what it is actually like to go there. Have you been to any university fairs?

No comments:

Post a Comment