Translate

Saturday 21 April 2018

Am I Normal Yet?

When my mum handed me a book with the title "Am I Normal Yet" just over a week ago I had to laugh. Mostly because the answer for me was "No", and probably always will be! On closer inspection, it was about a girl who was recovering from an anxiety disorder going to college and trying to act just like everyone else so they wouldn't know what is wrong with her. I recognised author Holly Bourne as the writer of another book I like, Soulmates, so I decided it was well worth a read.

When I read it though, I realised it was about feminism as well, as her and her new friends set up a group called "The Spinsters" to discuss feminist topics. They are trying to prove that they can be happy without boyfriends, and not become totally dependant on them when they do get them. It also discusses friendship, boyfriends, music and general college life, as well as what life is like when mental illness is slowly closing you off from everyone around you. The way it is written realistically portrays what it is like to be constantly attacked by your own thoughts.

I would recommend it to all girls at college, especially if they have ever been effected by mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment