Translate

Saturday 7 April 2018

University Choices

As I am heading toward the last year of my A levels, I am starting to properly think about University choices. Up until now, I have always thought it would be fairly straightforward, as I thought I knew I wanted to study graphic design. However, it turns out that every Uni's graphic design course is slightly different in content, and there are other courses like illustration and visual communication that are also interesting.

I guess the problem is we are no longer in the world of A levels, where there is a limited choice and they are all fairly standardised from college to college. Now, I am in a position where there is a huge range to pick from, and as the choice will determine which area of design I end up working in, that is pretty daunting.

And then there is the problem of where do I want to go? Home or away? City or closed campus? Huge lively University, or friendly art college? It is proving to be a lot more complicated than I thought. And one look at the employment statistics from each Uni prove how important this decision is. The percentage of people with a career after 6 months can vary dramatically.  For my courses, it can be anything from 80% to only 32%.

At least I have some idea though. If it is this hard when you know what career you want and are just trying to work out the best way to get there, how difficult must it be when you have no clue? How are you coping with the decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment